Whoosh … there’s that sound of another year surging by.
2017 was filled with ups and downs, smiles and tears, triumphs and stuff ups.
And the bits I liked the best? The in-between bits … sometimes called boring, but I’ve learned to appreciate and, indeed, relish the everyday.
To me, it means things are chugging along nicely. I can plan and dream for the future, but still be in and appreciate the present.
- walking into my beautiful shop every morning and inhaling the aroma of roses and feeling so incredibly happy as I admire all the gorgeous shoes in a rainbow of colours. My heart seriously comes close to bursting with pride and happiness when I take the time to stop and look around me at The Shoe Garden.
- curling up on my favourite sofa chair and having a snuggle with CC, listening to her snoring gently and watching as her feet twitch as she dreams about, I suspect, long walks on the beach on a windy day (she loves the wind in her “hair”) and a never-ending supply of chicken!
- laughing about something with my darling mum and dad, who continue to visit The Shoe Garden twice a week. They arrive with arms filled with rosemary and palm fronds from their garden and leave balancing stacks of online orders to take to the post office for me to send to beautiful customers around Australia and New Zealand.
- seeing a particular shoe at a shoe expo and absolutely loving it, and then watching many months later as it arrives and see that my customers are loving it, too.
- finding and buying another book and putting it on my “to be read” pile, now threatening to teeter over as I haven’t had much time lately to read. That hasn’t stopped me buying more books, mind you! The anticipation of so many great reads ahead is part of what’s so exhilarating.
- sipping on an icy cold Margarita, tucking into a beautiful meal, spending time with my darling friends.
- and just pottering around at home on a day off.
The Shoe Garden will close for two weeks from this Saturday and, while I’ll still process online orders and open by appointment whenever I’m able, I’ll also be doing a lot of the above as often as I can.
I’ll be back in your Friday inbox in early January. Until then, I wish you a very, very Merry Chrissy and a year ahead filled with special moments, especially the extra special, everyday ones.
Love Carol & CCx
PS. Here’s CC’s annual photo taken at the RSPCA. As always, she was a little angel and we were in and out in minutes. She is in there somewhere between Santa’s beard!