I am often asked what I do all day when there are no customers in the shop.
Here’s what I did yesterday:
- Arrive at 6.30am, put my hair up and kick off my heels. It’s about to get physical!
- Re-arrange the whole shop as I’ve had new deliveries
- Reduce the size of the “on sale” section as a result, so put spare shoes back in their boxes and onto shelves out back
- Dust and clean shelves as I go
- Cut back a plant that is growing up from the floorboards into my shelves (seriously!)
- Unpack some more copies of my book “In My Shoes” and arrange them around the shop
- Put away shoes from the day before
- Post on Facebook, both on The Shoe Garden page and the In My Shoes The Book page
- Post on Instagram
- Input some receipts from the past few days into my trusty spreadsheet
- Finally clean out the filing cabinet out back. It was time!
- Put the rubbish out
- Open the shop. It’s 10am
- Think about ways to celebrate my upcoming 5th birthday. Woohoo!
- Start my monthly e-newsletter to customers that’s due out next week
- Also start, and annoyingly not complete as planned, a brief for my lovely designer as I want to revamp the look of my e-newsletters and this blog, too. Stay tuned!
- Study my cash flow and breathe a sigh of relief. All good
- Pay some invoices
- While I’m there, pay some personal bills, too
- Somehow snap my bracelet and watch in horror as beads bounce all over the floor. Sweep yet again and worry all arvy that I’ve missed a bead and someone will slip on it
- Finish January’s monthly report that I started the day before and the 16 variables that I count every month. Now onto February’s! I hate being two months behind but I just need to breathe and not beat myself up about it…
- Clean the front windows and glass door … little noses gazing at CC in wonder from the outside often result in smudges!
- Keep adding things to my list of things to do as I think of them … if it’s on there, it will get done eventually
- Lose count of how many emails and phone calls I respond to
- Read a few of the daily blogs that I subscribe to for inspiration and information. My faves are from Flying Solo and Inside Retail Australia
- Water all the pot plants (something that I usually forget to do so feeling very chuffed to include this on my list!)
- Change home page of my website so it looks fresh and exciting for regulars
- Accept delivery of two big cartons of shoes; two styles that I will unpack, stack, put on my Point of Sale software and website tomorrow morning. Have run out of time today
- Finalise and post this blog!
And yes, I also serve gorgeous customers throughout the day. I chat, give advice when asked, leave them in peace when sensed, listen to their stories, laugh with them and cry a bit, too (sad dog story…sigh!).
Then repeat the next day.
Until next time
A proud but pooped shoe shop owner