I really admire Turia Pitt. She’s down-to-earth, smart, insightful, motivating and very, very funny.
Last week she challenged her followers to list 21 of the best things they’ve ever done.
I thought “why not? I’ll give it a go.”
And it was so much fun. And so affirming. And a great reminder to sometimes stop and reflect.
In no particular order, here are the 21 best things I’ve ever done!
- Opened The Shoe Garden (honestly, the first thing I thought of and listed!)
- Trekked for hours and then watched in awe a family of mountain gorillas in Rwanda
- Travelled to Malawi and Namibia with my mum
- Worked for the United Nations (even though the dream became a nightmare!)
- Wrote a book
- Lived in four other countries and created a new life for myself each time (Canada, Namibia, Portugal and Vietnam)
- Became a Fairy Goddess (basically a funky god mother!) to darling Annelise, the sweetest girl on the planet!
- Began to practise gratitude every day (helped by a 4pm daily reminder on my phone)
- Completed two half marathons
- Saw conservation at its best at Okonjima sanctuary in Namibia
- Went to see Bette Midler in concert … best concert ever; I laughed and cried and laughed some more!
- Got a dog … darling CC has been my best pal for more than 15 years now!
- Achieved a childhood dream and became a newspaper journalist
- Lived with an Inuit family in the Arctic Circle
- Watched a lion walk past our hut in the Kalahari at dawn (only screen netting between us…gulp!)
- Gave up Diet Coke after too many years and too many litres!
- Renovated and redecorated what is now the home of The Shoe Garden with my dad
- Ate fresh pasta and pastries throughout Italy for three weeks … yum!
- Spent a magical week in a country not many have heard about … Sao Tome and Principe (off the coast of Gabon, a two island country and former Portuguese colony)
- Learned to love travel from the back seat of mum and dad’s car as we drove from Perth to Cairns for holidays … twice!
- Met some of the women assisted by MicroLoan Foundation Australia and listened with awe to their stories.
I love the fact that I originally listed so many more than 21 things. I also appreciate that this list will change over time and other things will make the cut that I have yet to achieve and dream about.
How cool is that?!
Try this for yourself. It’s worth it.
Until next time
Carol & CCx