There’s nothing like the last few days of the working calendar to reflect on the year that was.
All in all, mine has been pretty fabulous!
First and foremost, everyone I know and love stayed healthy and well. That’s a biggie. Often we can’t anticipate or control what our bodies have in store for us and I’ve always been so grateful for good health.
Here are a few other highlights:
- Writing my first book about the giddy liberation of creating your own business and operating it in a way that makes you, and others, feel great. The process of writing and self-publishing was cathartic, inspiring and humbling.
- Watching first-time customers wander around the shop, often getting teary at the choices they have. I will never tire of seeing my shop through their eyes.
- Catching up on the goss with lovely regulars who have made me laugh and sometimes cry at their mostly happy and sometimes sad stories throughout the year.
- Raising lots of money for Microloan Foundation Australia with every sale. The total raised so far has nudged just over $12,000 from sales and just under $6,000 donated by friends, customers, peers and family … that’s more than $18,000 so far. Woohooo!
- Visiting New Zealand and meeting the design teams behind Minx and Ziera. That was a success; me coping with the freezing temperatures … not so much!
- Celebrating darling CC’s 13th birthday with lovely customers and helping to raise $356 from sales on the day. She continues to be happy and well with the sharpest eyesight, always on the look-out for other dogs, the postman, couriers and my dad as that means a walk is moments away and that’s so exciting!
- Going through stressy times (read: slow sales) and finding an inner strength to get through, keep going and stay positive.
- Finding new brands that “go long” such as Rollie Shoes, Bueno and Chrissie, not to mention sourcing fabulous new purses and handbags from Sakroots.
So many highlights … I really am very grateful.
To every single customer who has ever bought gorgeous shoes at The Shoe Garden, either in-store or online from around Australia and New Zealand, simply, thank you!
Until 2017, have a beautiful Chrissy and holiday period
PS. Just a reminder that The Shoe Garden will be closed for two weeks from 5pm on Friday, 23 December and opening again on Tuesday, 10 January. However, online orders will be processed throughout this time and I am also happy to open by appointment if possible. Just give me a buzz on 0408 721195.